Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Getting the Garden Going

Better slightly belated then never, right? Early on this year (due mostly to D's age and uncanny ability to destroy) I decided to go with bought sprouts rather than starting our own seeds in the sun room like we did last year. This gave me a little breathing room while I decided what to plant. I still don't know... but at least I have a place to put everything! (I'm a little peeved... I had nice before and after pics of my newly weeded garden, but my computer ate them. DEFINITELY not operator error.)

The last wheelbarrow of grass.

Haha, what a big girl!

I'm looking for a good layout for an 8' x 8' garden. I know I want a little more variety this year. Last year there were FAR too many squash, and I never got around to planting tomatoes. All the garden generators that I've found are ones that you have to pay for, though. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to break out some graph paper and plot my own.

I'm also planning on starting an herb garden. I would LOVE to have basil and parsley available! Since I don't have enough room in my veggie garden, I've decided to grow them in tin cans nailed along the top railing of our fence. It should look pretty cool! I got the idea here and it sounds like a good solution for me. It will be close to the house, up away from the dogs and rabbits, and in a sunny spot. Plus, at the end of the year I can yank the cans off the fence and recycle them.

image from the Hedgewich blog

I should be going to the Amish farm next week to get my sprouts. I'm so excited! On an unrelated note, I'm working on the shopping list for my Crock Pot freezer recipes. I'm pretty excited about that, too. Hopefully I'll have that up early next week after I hit the grocery store over the weekend. I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful spring! :)

1 comment:

Paris Grayson said...

Even in our apartment window, basil grew really well. Good luck!