Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Power of Bacon

This was supposed to be my triumphant post of how I overcame monumental obstacles with the help of... bacon! Unfortunately, one of my largest hurdles that I THOUGHT I had cleared has tripped me up again.

But first, the successes.

1. What to make for dinner?
This was an easy one, but I figured I would include it to make a nice round number of goals to post about. I definitely get stuck in a dinner rut. Steam broccoli, make pasta, repeat daily. I bought some squash and asparagus at the grocery store the other day, but was tired of the usual roasting method. Enter bacon!

I don't have the words for how super yummy this was.

2. Mice infestation.
Recently, we've been dealing with a few mice in the kitchen. They ate my Double Stuf Oreos, so it was game on. A friend suggested baiting our mouse traps with bacon grease, so I figured what the heck? The next morning the trap was gone and the mice were no more. We only ended up catching two or three, so hopefully it was just a small group of them. It's been quiet since then, so I'm hopeful that they're gone. Thanks, bacon, for your supporting role!

3. N's nose.
This was supposed to be my coup de grace. The apex of my shrine to bacon. We promised N bacon for breakfast if she didn't scratch her nose open. It worked for a week. A whole WEEK!! I was dancing the cha cha every morning, I was so excited that her nose was healing up. This has been a two and a half month ordeal for us. Just about every morning and/or waking up from naptime, N looks like she's been attacked in her sleep by Freddie Cruger. Blood everywhere. Her pillows and blankets are stained, it's gross. Not to mention the big scab on her face that's going to leave a big scar. This whole thing bothers me a lot, but we try very hard not to make it a big deal for N. Low key. I'm also worried that it's going to get infected and BECOME a big deal, whether we like it or not. Anyway, a week of leaving it alone goes by. Then D gets pneumonia and a few days later, N sounds like she's hacking up a lung all night. I don't think she's developed pneumonia yet, but it has definitely disrupted her sleep. This coupled with the fact that she spent the night away from home the other day proved too much for her itchy fingers. Back at the nose. Damn. It's been another day or so since then and she's left it alone, so hopefully she's out of the habit of it. I hope to post my success picture soon. It's very disappointing, though.

Other than N's nose, she has been super good lately. Her temper tantrums are way down in frequency and intensity. I credit the success to... bacon. Just kidding. I made her a new chart that she gets to put stickers on when she's good. At the end of the week she turns it in for special "Daddy Time". I'll devote a post to it later, because I'm so proud of how well she's doing with it. :) I'll also touch on our visit to her future preschool, her garden, and some new fun crafty things we're getting into!

2 comments:

Brynn said...

mmm, bacon...love me some of that. i might have to try your "recipe" soon!
i remember catching a mouse in my sister's room when we lived with my parents way back when...i put a sock on my hand and eventually trapped it in a corner and picked it up, lol. i let it go. my parents were mad because it probably just walked right back in the way it came.
i can't imagine the frustration of nora's nose. i can't believe the docs haven't given you a good solution. there's got to be something. hopefully she leaves it alone, but if not, put some bacon grease on it...j/k.
can't wait to hear about pre-school!!
do you think you'll end up making it to the princess extravaganza? there will not be bacon, but there will be chick-fil-a nuggets...

Lauren said...

i mentioned it to her doc when we went in for dory's follow up. they said that basically i was doing everything they would recommend. she has left it alone since monday morning, so (fingers crossed!!) she's out of the habit of scratching at it.

nora and i are coming to the princess party, dory will be napping so she's going to stay home. i'm so excited, i'll have to dig out a good princess outfit for nora to wear. glass slippers are a must, so i guess she'll be cinderella, haha!